MCLEOD COUNTY – The McLeod County Extension Master Gardeners encourage people to participate in this year’s virtual Garden Education Series. The Garden Education Series will take place via Zoom on the 2nd and 4th Thursdays, from Thursday, Jan. 14 through Thursday, April 8 at 7 p.m.
Dates and topics are as follows:
- January 14, 2021 – House Plant Care
- Join Master Gardener Janet Dolezal as she shares how to keep houseplants healthy during the winter. In addition, Janet will cover how plants help to clean the air in your home, plus information on orchid care.
- January 28, 2021 – New Annual and Perennial Fun in 2021
- There is nothing better to improve your mood than flowers, and with your office now 5 steps away, you can enjoy your flower beds more now than ever! Join Carrie Larson from McHutchison Horticulture Distributor as she shares some of the newest annuals and perennials hitting the market this spring! Carrie will talk about flowers that are hardy for you, that hold up in the wind and weather, and you can find for sale in your area garden centers this spring, if you get there early enough!!
- February 11, 2021 – Demystifying Hydrangeas
- Jessie Keith from Proven Winners will be demystifying hydrangeas by giving you tips, tricks, and valuable information on how to grow them. You will see what their top performers are for our area. Hydrangeas have become a mainstay in gardens. This presentation will want you planting many more this spring.
- February 25, 2021 – Growing Vegetables in Gardens, Raised Beds, and Containers
- The more you think you know, the more you are humbled. Join Master Gardener Nathan Winter as he shares some common mistakes and best management practices to achieve success in growing vegetables in gardens, raised beds and containers.
- March 11, 2021 – Irises- Past/ Present/Future and Secrets of Growing a Rainbow in your Garden
- Want to be let in on the secrets of growing a rainbow in your garden? Join Master Gardener Ron Cosner as he shares about different iris types, historical irises, and present-day hybrids. Ron will also share some information on cultivation of irises peculiar to this region.
- March 25, 2021 – Tree Identification
- Wondering about what types of trees you have on your property? If so, join John Ball from SDSU Extension as he discusses tree characteristics and issues to watch out for in common trees in our area.
- April 8, 2021 – Choosing and Growing Great Daylilies
- How do you know if a daylily will perform well in your garden and what should you do to help it grow to its full potential? Join Master Gardener Joyce Hochsprung to gather some tips on growing daylilies.
This garden series is free to attend. Registration is required by noon on the day before the event at z.umn.edu/wintergardeninged. All sessions will be recorded and emailed out to participants to watch at their own convenience. The flyer is available at z.umn.edu/mgwinterseries. Please contact Karen Johnson, UMN Extension Educator- McLeod and Meeker Counties at 320-484-4303 or email@example.com for questions.