BUFFALO, MN – LaVern (Vern) Johnson, 91, of Buffalo, formerly of Montrose, died Sunday, Oct. 25, 2016. A memorial service for LaVern will take place Wednesday, Jan. 25 at 11 a.m. at Bethlehem United Church of Christ in Maple Lake, followed by a potluck luncheon. Bethlehem UCC is located on County Road 37, on the north side of Maple Lake High School.
Archive for Montrose
MINNESOTA – Know someone with an adorable baby? The Herald Journal’s sister paper, the Delano Herald Journal, is hosting a cute baby contest.
Entrants do not need to be from Delano to win.
Nearly $1,000 will be given away in cash prizes.
For details, click here: https://www.communitynewscontest.com/index.php?contestid=276
WOODLAND TOWNSHIP, MN – A machine shed in Woodland Township is a total loss after a Christmas morning fire.
The Montrose Fire Department was called to the fire at 8577 Hwy. 25 at 1:32 a.m. Sunday.
The shed and its contents were a total loss, but there were no injuries as a result of the fire.
Delano and Watertown fire departments assisted at the scene.
Firefighters were on scene for about three hours, followed by two hours of cleanup.
SPONSORED POST – Illness or injury can strike at any time, even during the holidays, and Hutchinson Health is ready to help.
Holiday hours at the Hutchinson clinic are:
• open Monday, Dec. 26 and Monday, Jan. 2 from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.
• open Saturday, Dec. 31 from 9 a.m. to noon
• closed Saturday, Dec. 24 and Sunday, Dec. 25
About Hutchinson Health
Hutchinson Health is one of the largest independent health care providers in Minnesota. Services include primary and specialty care clinics, emergency services, and specialty programs.
Hutchinson Health is located at 3 Century Ave. Appointments can be made by calling (320) 234-3290.
To learn more, go to www.hutchhealth.com.
MONTROSE AND WAVERLY, MN – Montrose and Waverly residents are currently experiencing a natural gas outage.
Xcel Energy posted a message on its website regarding the outage.
Acording to the message, a construction project accidentally caused an interruption of natural gas service to the Waverly and Montrose areas.
“We are working safely and as quickly as possible to restore gas to the system; however, restoration work will continue into Wednesday,” the message said. “We will provide another update as more information becomes available.”
Xcel technicians are going house to house to turn off the gas meters as a safety precaution.
“We expect to complete repairs on our system this evening and will work throughout the night to go to each home impacted by this situation to relight the pilot lights on natural gas appliances,” the message said.
It encouraged residents to seek shelter if needed, but noted someone at least 18 years of age or older must be present to provide access for technicians.
“Please know that if you are at a shelter or other location, crews will continue to return to homes until we can relight your appliances and/or they may make entry, with law enforcement, through the use of a locksmith,” the message said. “Please leave an outside light on for our technicians. All Xcel Energy employees or authorized contract workers will have photo identification.”
To help prevent water pipes from freezing, residents are asked to open the faucets and leave a slow trickle of water running from them.
As an important safety reminder, if you ever detect a sulfur or “rotten egg” smell inside your home, it could be the odorant Xcel puts in natural gas to help detect leaks. If you notice that smell, leave your home immediately. Do not turn any electrical devices on or off and never use any phone until you are outside and safely away from the area. Then, call Xcel at 1-800-895-2999. In an emergency, call 911.
“We apologize for any inconvenience you may experience related to this incident,” the message concluded.
SPONSORED POST. Mid-County Coop will conduct its annual meeting at the Willkommen Park Pavilion, 21 Main St. East, Norwood Young America Friday, Dec. 9. Lunch will be served at 12 noon followed by a business meeting at 1 pm. For more information, call (952) 466-3700.