A local man was injured Wednesday, Feb. 2 in the morning when he apparently accidentally shot himself in the hand.
Carver County Sheriff’s Office said that around 11 a.m., his department was dispatched to the 212 Medical Center in Chaska for an adult male with an apparent gunshot wound to his hand.
A 77-year-old man from Waverly told deputies that he was in the process of cleaning his handgun when he accidentally shot himself in the hand at a residence in the 1200 block of Lyman Boulevard in the City of Chanhassen.
The injury was reported to be non-life threatening. The name of the man was not released. The incident remains under investigation by the Carver County Sheriff’s Office.
The Sheriff’s Office reminds the public of the essentials of firearm safety:
- Treat all firearms as if they are loaded
- Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction
- Keep firearms unloaded when not in use
- Keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot
- Never handle any firearm without first thoroughly familiarizing yourself with the safe handling instructions for that firearm